Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mama Mann's Chili

Pin It!

This is hands down the best chili recipe that I've ever had and the only one that I'll make.
It was given to me by a close friend's mom and I make it at least once a month.
Aside from it's all around deliciousness, it can be made in the crock pot!
This means I can throw it all in a pot before I head out to work in the morning,
and come home and have a fabulous meal waiting.

What you'll need:
1 pound hamburger
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 onion chopped (I save about 1/4 of the raw onion to add as a topper to the chili later)
1 jalapeno or serrano chili cut up into very fine pieces
1 package Lawrey's Chili Seasoning
1 can kindey beans (drained)
1 can pinto beans (drained)
1 can chili beans (not drained)
1 reg can tomato sauce
1 reg can stewed tomatoes (mexican flavor if you can find it)
1 small can black olives (optional)

Directions:
Okay, the "hardest" part of this recipe is that you have to brown the ground beef
with the onion and bell pepper.
{come on laaazy, it only takes a few minutes}
I do this the night before and then put it in tupperware in the fridge
so I don't have to worry about doing it at 6:00 am.

Step 2. Dump everything in the crockpot.
If you like your chili spicy like I do,
then I wait and add the jalapeno until about an hour before I serve it.
If you want it a little more mild, add it in the morning and let it cook all day with the chili.

I cook mine on low for about 7-10 hours.
We top ours with shredded cheese, slices of avocado and chopped onion. 
You can serve with corn bread too. 


Enjoy!  


Photobucket

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

We go to a chili cook off every fall and try to bring a new recipe every time! I'm definitely doing yours next October!!! One question though - do you seed your jalapeno before you chop it and add it, or do you leave the seeds in? I'm wondering if that would make it TOO hot...

Mish Lovin' Life said...

Mmm... that looks good. AND, I have a crock pot that has literally never been used in the entire year+ that I've had it. Guess I have no excuse now!

Amira said...

Sarah- A chili cook off sounds like so much fun!!

If I use a Jalapeno, then I would say about 1/4 of the seeds make it in. If I use a serrano chili (which are smaller and spicier) I pretty much take out all of the seeds!

Brittney - The Luycx's said...

Yummm! This looks delish!

Sandra said...

That looks delicious! I make chili all the time but have never used the crock pot. I'm gonna have to try that next time. I'm sure it does wonders for developing the flavors!

Rolled Up Pretty said...

Oh my, that looks SO GOOD! :)

Melu103 said...

ok is it possible to be
this hungry at 10am! not
even cool... i am dying to
have this right now!




xoxo
Melina ♥
www.onlyaflightaway.blogspot.com

Melu103 said...

by the way love ..
i don't see my blog button
on your page .. do you need one still?




xoxo
Melina ♥
www.onlyaflightaway.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I cannot wait to eat beans! I am making chili on Saturday when I get to the 2nd cycle of my diet. This looks yummy, is it from Amy's mom? BTW, stop posting food. ha ha.

Unknown said...

Looks so good! I needed a chilli recipe w/ beans! So one day, I will definitely try this!

xo.Britt
The Magnolia Pair

:)

Krista Lynn said...

After craving chili all day - this looks so amazing! I might be making it this weekend!!

http://crescendoblog.blogspot.com

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings said...

Yum yum yum! My hubz thanks you for sharing this recipe...he's been dying for a good batch of chili lately. Need to see if I can make this over the weekend! :)

Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

Jane said...

Oooo this looks so yummy! I can't wait until Daniel is home and I'll start cooking normally again. I hate cooking for one but I'm pinning this for future reference!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Oooh this looks so good! thanks for sharing! =)

Sarah (Mrs. Ruffled Flats) said...

This sounds a lot like the chili my hubby made this weekend! It was amazing, and that's saying a lot since I'm a chili-snob. I'm sure this one is just as delicious!

Since we like to be health-conscious most of the time, instead of sour cream and shredded cheese that we like to put, we added a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and mixed it in. It tasted the same, but only for 35 calories!

Lublyou said...

oh yumm!!! looks so delish!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...